Wednesday, November 20, 2013

ZCM and the "Open File - Security Warning"

I kept building my ZCM (ZENworks Configuration Management) bundles to launch executables off of network shares and I kept finding that my apps either wouldn't ever run or I'd get the "Open File - Security Warning" box complaining that the file might not be safe.  Here's what that error looks like if you're not sure if you're seeing the same thing.


What I figured out was that when the bundle just ran and ran forever but never actually did anything, it must have opened this window in the Dynamic User's context and not the current user's context.  So it was sitting there waiting for someone to click Run, but no one could see it to click on it.  I could however reliably launch one application and while it was running and not doing anything, I could launch another application and it would give me the above message and I could click Run and it would go about it's business and launch.  

I don't want to train my users to click Run on random security warning boxes so I don't like leaving it up to them to click on it.  Also, since it only comes up part of the time it's not even a reliable fix.  So I went looking around for a better way.

I came across Joe Parsons post here about this same error and SCCM.  He references a Microsoft Knowledge Base article about the error and a way to get around it when running VBscripts.  That doesn't make a direct application for us in ZCM, but it puts us on the right track. 

To fix the problem we just need to add the mentioned SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS variable to the environment on the computer.  Easiest way to do that is in the bundle itself, just modify the "Launch Action" to add the variable and set it equal to 1.  Here's what it looks like when you've got it in there.


No comments:

Post a Comment