Monday, April 14, 2014

How to change CTRL+ALT in vSphere Web Client

I've been working on setting up a new SYSPREP Win7.  I started the build on a virtual machine running on top of VMware vSphere.  I tweaked it and got it like I wanted it.  Then I went take the image in Zenworks and realized I couldn't get into the imaging mode.  To load the imaging menu you press CTRL + ALT during the PXE boot portion, but CTRL + ALT is also the same key combination to release control of the virtual machine window.  I could have just booted it from a Zenworks boot CD, but I wanted to use the PXE boot.  I looked through the options in vCenter and couldn't find anything related to the changing those settings.  Then I turned to Google and I found a bunch of posts talking about how you couldn't change it.  The outlook was starting to look a little bleak, but then I stumbled into a workaround.  Apparently, the standalone program VMPlayer and the vSphere console use the same configuration file.  You can find that file here:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\VMware\preferences.ini

There are lot of guides on how to tweak the settings in that file.  But here's the settings that were relevant to what I wanted to do.

pref.hotkey.control = "true"
pref.hotkey.gui = "true"
pref.hotkey.shift = "false"
pref.hotkey.alt = "false"

These settings change the CTRL+ALT combination to CTRL + Win (that's "gui" above).  Keep in mind that the "Hint" across the top of the window still says press CTRL+ALT to release the cursor.   You also have to close and reopen the window for it to pickup the change.  I panicked at first because I changed the settings, couldn't get them to work and then forgot that I had changed them.  Later when I went back into a VM I couldn't get out of it.  I'll admit, it did take me minute to realize what I had done.

No comments:

Post a Comment