Thursday, April 10, 2014

Stubborn Broadcom USH device on a Dell E6400

I recently revisited the driver installation on a Dell E6400 laptop.  There was one stubborn driver that I couldn't get working, the "Broadcom USH" device.  Dell's support website didn't list a driver for this so I went out on a wider search across the internet forum.  I found a lot of posts talking about installing the Control Vault device drivers.  So I grabbed the Dell ControlPoint Security Device Driver and found that it was useless.  The drivers were wrapped in an installer (that I didn't want to run, I just wanted the drivers).  Then I scrolled a little further down the page and found the Dell ControlVault Driver package (here's the page where I found it). After extracting that exe file I was left with a bunch of MST files and one MSI file.  So I extracted the MSI and there they were, the elusive drivers.  But it wasn't just a straight forward install.

I tried to install the driver, but it didn't work either.  It told me it couldn't find one of the files.  At first glance, everything was there.  So I ran DPInst against it.  It errored on two different drivers.  I looked through their INF files and found that they were looking for 2 files that weren't there.  A ccidflt.sys and a cvusbdrv.sys were missing.  Looking in the folder there was a ccidflt.sys2 and a cvusbdrv.sys1.  Close enough, right?   I removed the extra number from the ends of the extension and ran DPInst again and it worked!

So there you go, sometimes drivers can be stubborn.  But a little persistence pays off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment