Monday, October 21, 2013

Changing XP Wallpaper from ZENworks

I mentioned in a previous post  ( Changing XP Background (Wallpaper) Images ) about creating a ZENworks application to reset the background or wallpaper image.  But I should have tested my app more thoroughly as it took a little tinkering to get it working.  ZENworks veterans probably wouldn't have made this mistake, but as I'm new to version 11 (made the jump from 7) I did make the mistake.

The most common bundle action that I use is one of the "Launch" actions, whether it's an executable or an installer.  Those actions by default run as the logged in user.  What I found out is that "Registry Edit" actions by default execute as the System account.  Which is probably great for making sure that the settings apply, but that's not so great when you're working in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.  But there's an easy fix for that.

In the action properties just go to the Advanced tab and look at the "Run Action As" section.  There's two ways to run it as System and as User.  When you pick System there's one optional setting "Apply HKEY_CURRENT_USER changes to the logged in user's hive instead of .DEFAULT".  The is fix is to check that box to make it work.  Easy enough, right?  I probably could have used the run as user option, but I tried checking the box worked and that fixed it, so I didn't try it with the user option set.  

Here's picture so you can check that we're both looking at the same thing.   


No comments:

Post a Comment