Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Troubles wth RSSOwl and Password Protected Feeds

I subscribe to a lot of feeds through RSSOwl.  I should probably shrink the list of feeds because it's a lot more information coming in, way more than I can keep up with anyway.  However, I haven't kicked anything off the list, I just prioritize what I read immediately and what I read when I get around to it.  Because a lot of my feeds keep unread articles attached to them I don't always find feed problems immediately.  What I do notice is going through the list and seeing that the dates on the articles haven't updated recently.  This is what happened to me the other day with one particular feed that I subscribe to.

The particular feed that wasn't work is password protected.  The dates on the articles weren't recent and the feed icon had a red X on it.  Clicking on the feed and viewing the properties just showed a status of "no password provided".  Ok, so I need to provide a password, how do I do that?

RSSOwl supports password protected feeds, you just have to add the username and password to the feed. Here's the box I'm looking for, but how do I get to it?


I remembered when I added this feed it popped up and asked me for my username and password (like it says it's supposed to do here http://tutorial.rssowl.org/tipstricks.html).  And I remember the last time I changed my password on the site that RSSOwl asked me again for my password then.  So it was smart enough to know when the stored password doesn't work, why isn't it asking me for my password now?

I tried restarting RSSOwl, no luck.  Restarting the computer, no luck.  Re-adding the feed, no luck.  Googling for authenticated feeds and RSSOwl, password protected feeds and RSSOwl, no luck and no luck.  Googling the error message (I don't know why I didn't start here), no obvious fix, but it started me down the path to a fix.

I wound up on the RSSOwl help page (here http://www.rssowl.org/help in case you're interested).  They make a reference to the passwords being managed from Tools > Preferences > Passwords.  I wasn't sure what I was looking for when I got there, but what I found was a blank list of sites.  It looked similar to this with the section in the middle that lists sites empty.

The only button that wasn't grayed out was the "Reset" button.  Figured since it wasn't working anyway, resetting it wouldn't hurt.  So I clicked on Reset, it gave me a "are you sure" message and I clicked to Ok that.  I went ahead and Ok'd the Password window to close it.  Then I right-clicked on the Feed and selected Update.  Bingo!  The password window popped right up this time.  I entered my username and password and it was back working, the lastest feed updates came streaming in.

No comments:

Post a Comment